One stay at home moms journey to find herself again

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mrs. Fix-it

Oh yes, thats me! Mrs. Fix-it! It's my mission to fix, or try to fix, any household problem that arises by myself, if possible. Now, the broken window and the "I hate Midas" issues were beyond my control but for the most part I'm pretty handy around the house. (Just don't tell my husband, he'll think its a free pass) BD if you're reading this: no..I will not continue to do household repairs once you get home. sorry! Although it -was- my idea to get rid of the home warrenty bc "we never use it' Coulda used it lately huh....oh well, look at all the knowledge I'm gaining.
Anyways, A few days ago broken glass mysteriously got into my garbage disposal. Don't understand how that happened bc I would never put broken glass in the disposal and I didnt even see any remnants of a glass in the sink to begin with. Well, I found said broken glass by turning on the garbage disposal and having it promptly lock up on me. No fun. So I stood there for 20 minutes pain-stakingly fishing out every piece of broken glass just by touch, risky business, After 20 minutes I had almost given up hope and called a repair man, picturing a horrid bill for a new disposal when we had just replaced the disposal about a year ago. But I kept at it like the little engine that could and after nearly 30 minutes I was victorious! I had gotten every little bit of glass out of the disposal and it worked perfectly. You shoulda seen me. I was estatic. *seriously, I need cameras in this house, I'd be a HIT reality show!*
And now...today...that dreaded kitchen sink is once again giving me fits. Its all clogged up and not draining. Sooo I plungered it, that just caused a gyser out of the other side, kinda cool but not the results I was looking for. I'm now in the middle of trying the vinegar/baking soda trick if that doesn't work I will have to get out the big guns and get some actual "gnaw out all the junk with harsh chemicals' cleaner.
This is starting to be kinda fun *i said KINDA!!!!!!!!!!!!* because I am learning new things and fixing the problems and I feel so proud and victorious after I fix the problem! I'm learning how to fix things that I would normally say "babe, come fix this!" annd theres also the fact that I Hate........HATE...having fix it men in the house..with a PASSION! So I am going to try whatever is necessary to fix the problem myself.
We shall see if I can conquer the sink!!!

All for today...From Mrs. Fix-it

No comments: