One stay at home moms journey to find herself again

Monday, January 9, 2012

MY deployment Rules

I've been through three deployments..in six years. It sucks. Big time. It's not fun but it is survivable! You may be feeling like you won't make it, but I promise, you will! Because the deployment Gods like me so much I decided to make my own list of Deployment Rules. Grab a brownie, sit back, and enjoy!


1. Stay busy. The busier you are the less time you have to think. Thinking is bad.

2. Do something for YOU! My last deployment I was a workout queen. It was for me, I enjoyed it, I felt good, it reduced stress, it was also an hour I had away from my kids every morning, thanks to the lovely gym daycare. Whatever your thing is, do it.

3. You are allowed to occasionally (key word) wallow. Grab a sappy movie, a pan of brownies and a bottle of wine, if that's your thing and have yourself a time. But remember.. Put back on those big girl panties in the morning.

4. MAKE FRIENDS. I wouldn't have made it without my Army friends. They are the only ones that understand what you are going through. Don't act stuck up and snotty and refuse to make friends..it'll only hurt you in the end.

5. Routine, routine, routine. Especially if you have kids. Get yourself into a routine and stick to it. I have 2 routines, one when hubs is home and one when he isn't. Even though he's home now, on the times where he pulls 24hr duty I still revert back to my "hubs away, lets play" routine

6. There's always that one new wife..reach out to her, if you have been around the block a time or two. I'm sure we all remember being that wife and we also remember those that did/did not reach out to us. It's a scary thing being a new wife, first deployment, away from family.

7. YOU have no rank. Your HUSBAND has rank. You are not your husband. You are a person. Don't pull it. Not attractive.

8. Learn to ask for help. It's okay, really!

9. It will end. I promise. The day it ends will be one of the best days of your life and will make all the crap you went through seem nonexistant

10. Murphina sucks. She will come to visit. The day your spouse deploys. There's no way around it. Suck it up and deal. Murphina is Murphy's (as in Murphy's deployment law, everything that breaks can and will the day your spouse leaves) Sister in crime. I don't use the phrase Murphy, No man has ever given me such trouble so it's Murphina.

and Lastly:

11. You are stronger than you think you are! Repeat that to yourself, over and over again.

No comments: