One stay at home moms journey to find herself again

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Microwave no more!


Hi, my name is Erica and I don't have a microwave. I'm dead serious, I don't. I did but it was attached to the house and we kinda had to move so I left it, not really thinking that I would need one. Fast forward, we arrive at our new apartment and there's no microwave. And I'm cheap. So I said "Suuure, we can manage without one" The first couple weeks were rough, I'll admit.

GOOD NEWS: I don't miss my microwave! I really really don't. Ok, so there's the box of microwave popcorn I have in the cabinet and everytime I see it I want a microwave but I can't justify spending $70 just to pop some popcorn. Then there's the occasonal fatty TV dinner I see at the store and think "mmm..that'd be good" but let's be real, yah, it'd be good but they have zero nutrional value and are full of fats that will just find their way to my butt anyways so I'm not paying $70 to help my butt get bigger than it already is. So when push comes to shove, I don't miss my microwave!!

Granted I go through some trouble reheating leftovers. Turn on oven, heat food, wait 15 mins but whatever, start early enough and it's no problem. I cook all the veggies in a pot on the stove or I steam them in my rice cooker/steamer. I'm learning to cook smaller portions or freeze so that I don't have to spend every afternoon with my oven on heating up leftovers.

Some people say microwaves kill your food and send like..radiation or vibes or something into ya, I dunno about that but if it's true then I'm safe...another plus.

I will say that when we didn't have our household goods and I had no pots and pants (because I was too busy packing teapots and picture frames) I did miss a microwave..It was really, really hard to cook. I cooked in pie plates in the oven, yah I brought the pie plates with the teapot, don't ask me when the last time I made a pie and some hot tea..because I do neither, so I have no clue why I brought those things instead of pots and pans, I think it was the vibes from my old microwave that caused the brain issues. I cooked my veggies in the teapot. Worked great, ruined the teapot but worked great. That's okay, I didn't use the teapot anyways, it was just decoration.

I'm really proud of myself for being so...new age..and not having a microwave!

So here's my challenge to you: Don't use your microwave for a week. Just try it. It's pretty liberating! I dare you. Ok, If you can't do a week, just try a day or two. Really. I mean it.

No comments: