One stay at home moms journey to find herself again

Sunday, May 15, 2011

my lil tricks

I'm a foodie. I love food. Which is exactly how I got myself 50lbs overweight..by loving food and I've worked very hard in the past year to lose those 50lbs and I'd rather not go back. :-) I hate going without things that I love to eat, makes me grumpy. I cannot live on salad and asparagus, no ma'am, So I've found some easy substitutes to make the food I do love a little healthier. Trust me, if they weren't good substitutes I wouldn't share them because I wouldn't still be using them :-)

My Little Diet Lifestyle change Tricks:

I use ground turkey in all my foods that I used hamburger in. Chili, sloppy Joes, spaghetti, meatballs. I honestly cannot tell a difference and I don't have to drain grease (I hate draining grease) I can get a lb of ground turkey for 1.49 which is just about what I would pay for a pound of hambuger. The only thing I haven't tried turkey in is turkey burgers. I haven't got that brave yet, I LOVE me a burger. I also don't grill so that makes it a bit tricky :) I did get some turkey dogs on sale which I have yet to try..we shall see. We don't eat a lot of red meat. We eat LOTTSSS of chicken and ground turkey. I don't even buy red meat anymore unless it's for a certain dish. Some dishes I do 1/2 hamburger 1/2 ground turkey (meatloaf, those things that need a lil extra fat) Still saving calories though

Greek Yogurt. I use this in just about anything that calls for cream, sour cream, ect. I HATE yogurt but I can put the greek yogurt in things like tacos, cream soups, ect and I can't tell a difference. I have heard greek yogurt with honey and almonds in it is a wonderful snack but I haven't been brave enough to try that bc I don't like yougurt. One day I will though. (did you read that..I don't like yougurt but I put greek yogurt in place of creams, ect and I love it!!) When I make mashed potatoes I skip the milk and butter and just glop in some greek yogurt and it makes some REALLY good mashed potatoes! YUUMMM!!! It can be kinda pricey but I can make a tub go pretty far since I'm not using it everyday.

Night time snackies... I get them sooo bad, especially when I'm alone. I try to keep a bag of celery and carrots on hand and I munch on those in the evening with some veggie dip and before ya know it I'm too bloated from veggies to eat any other crap :-)

Here's my jewel that I just came up with in the last couple days..I took some chopped spinach and added it into the alfredo sauce I was making and my kids ATE IT! The little one, ya know, the one that doesn't eat green, had 3 servings!! The big one did ask what it was and I told her it was like seasoning, to make it taste good, even she ate 2 servings.. bwahahaha I honestly don't like spinch that much either but it worked great! I didn't taste it at all. Got some green in my non green eater.

We also aren't eating out as much (by 'eating out' I mean Mcdonalds, jack in the box, BK, ect bc I would have to be mental to take my kids, by myself, into a sit down establishment) But when we do (and trust me, there are definatly some nights since I'm doin this single parent gig) I skip all dressings on my burger, if I get one. No mayo, no spicy white sauce, no chipotle whatchama sauce..If i get something on there it's just mustard. Same for sandwiches.

Desserts: noowww you're speakin my language. mmmmmm Major sweet tooth! In all honesty I've cut my desserts down by a huuuuuge amount. I really don't eat sweets unless it's a certain week of the month and then I graze through like a starving hobo, which I do allow myself to that week to cheat. Trick #1: DON'T BUY IT! if it's not in the house ya can't eat it! Trick #2 when baking substitute the sugar for honey or Agave when possible. You can do a quick internet search to see if the recipe can be converted. Sooo much easier for your body to process since it's a natural sugar and less calories.

So there ya have it. Those are my little tricks. If you have any little tricks please feel free to share!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erica Congratulations!
You are doing great!
I have heard that you can make greek yougart, by taking regular
yougart, puting it in a cheese cloth (cheese cloth resting in
a big sieve). Let the water drip
out of the regular yougart. The
yougart becomes thick.....like
greek yougart. (I would suppose that you have to set this
dripping yougart in the frig.
It may take overnight?).
Just a thought.
Love you
Oma

bloggingcorey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacee Hord said...

I had no idea about greek yogurt! Great tip!