One stay at home moms journey to find herself again

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

8 years

BD and I just celebrated our 8 year anniversary.  Our road to 8 years has not been easy.  It has not been fun most of the time.  Marriage takes work.  2 years ago I was given the option to walk away and forget everything or stay and fight.  Fight for the vows I said on our wedding day. Fight for what I knew we -could- have.  Fight for what we -should- have.     I chose to fight.  I don't regret that decision.  When I chose to fight there wasn't a guarantee that everything would work out. There wasn't the guarantee that old hurts could be healed and broken promises forgiven.   I chose to fight.   Thank God I chose to fight.   The biggest thing BD and I do is TALK.  We talk about everything. I tell him every feeling I have. Vice Versa. If we don't then those feelings stay inside and turn into something much bigger and uglier than they started.  Thank God I have a husband who is willing to listen.   The key to our marriage is communication.  We have been through counseling a few times and the key really is communication and time.  We spend time together, talking, listening, just being. It's not unusual to find us sitting on the couch talking for 15-20 minutes after he gets home from work.  We go on dates once a month or so. We NEED that time for us. Life is so hectic everyday that we need to sit down and take time for US.  Refocus our energy on us.  I have an amazing husband and when I say "I need a date night" he says OK!  He knows I need that time away from the house and kids.  It's taken us many years to get to this point though. 

One thing we hadn't had in awhile was a weekend away.  It's no secret that we went through HUGE life changes and HUGE marital issues in the past 3 years, not to mention the past year we have focused all our energy on caring for our son, surgeries, job changes, life changes, money changes...nearly every aspect in our life changed and I desperately told BD we needed a weekend away!  I was running on fumes.  It had been close to 2 1/2 years since we had been alone just the two of us for more than 3-4 hours.  So away we went. We split the kids and tossed them at the grandparents and off we went to celebrate 8 years and surviving the last year. 

We started off with a lovely 3 hour nap in our hotel room.   Our room was gorgeous and the bed was AMAZINGLY comfy. It was heaven. I didn't want to leave the bed. 

 The worlds WORST Truffles.. for real. 


Followed by dinner.... a nice dinner where I didn't say "stop blowing bubbles in your water"  "Stop picking on each other" "Eat your meal"  Once. A meal I was able to relax and eat slowly and not get food smeared on me.   Followed by..yes..the mall.  I love the mall. 

We seriously went back to the hotel room after that and watched TV.. I'm dead serious.   Oh ya, and raided the mini bar.   Why in the world  did we watch TV on our anniversary trip.. umm because we never get to watch a tv show uninterrupted.  Even after the kids are in bed someone is bound to get up and need something.  So yes, it was amazingly relaxing to be able to lay in bed and watch some TV shows and know that nobody would bug us.  We're that lame :-)

Now it's time to plan for our 10 year anniversary.. I've been told that that anniversary deserves a destination getaway ..........hmmmmmmmmmmm.... Sign.me.up!   Where ever shall I go?!   

No comments: