One stay at home moms journey to find herself again

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Slap Yo Mama Mac N Cheese

I'm not a huge fan of cheese. I don't like Cheddar.  I don't like Swiss or Provolone.  I won't eat it not melted. I won't eat it on Sandwiches and I don't like boxed Mac and Cheese. This is a problem in my family.  The rest of my family loves cheese. Like.. Luh-ves it. 

 After Wesley's last surgery we were given a meal by a family friend. It was AMAZING mac and cheese with chicken in it. YUM! It was so yummy and we ate it for lunches and dinners for a couple days.  Ever since then I have been searching for a comparable recipe.  I found this recipe and decided to give it a try.  Of course, I never make a recipe as the original states.  I added a few things and changed some stuff up and the end result was AH-MAZ-ING.  Like slap yo mama good, AMAZING.

First I bought a rotisserie chicken and shredded it.  I guess you could boil and shred your own chicken but I didn't wanna put forth that much effort.. Plus, Rotisserie chickens are SO good. 

All my measurements for the rue were the same:
3
Tbsp.  butter or margarine
2
Tbsp.  flour
2
cups  milk



I made my rue as the recipe states and I added in 2  (not the 1 1/2 like the original states) cups of a mexican blend shredded cheese.. I thought the original cheddar would be to strong. The mexican blend had a nice, mellow, cheesy flavor. Stirred until that was all gooey and yummy then I tossed in my already shredded chicken and the already boiled noodles (Approx 2 cups, maybe a little more)  I added some season salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes for added flavor.  Just season to taste. 

Put that in a casserole dish.  I used a 2qt rectangle dish.  It was enough to feed the 4 of us but next time I think I will double the recipe and use a 9x13.  

Topped it with bread crumbs and put in a 350 oven for 15 minutes. The last 5 I turned on the broiler to get everything browned up. 


And there you have it... Slap Yo Mama Mac and cheese.

1 comment:

Stacee Hord said...

That sounds so good! I'm going to try it soon!