One stay at home moms journey to find herself again

Friday, February 21, 2014

The Big DR. Visit

I've been MIA for a bit this week. My boy got his with his first stomach bug.  boo!  Poor boy was so sick! He was sick all night and still couldn't hold anything down the next morning so I made the decision to take him in.  I, honestly, felt a little silly taking him in when he had only been sick for less than 12 hours but my mommy gut told me to... so in we went.  Turns out little boy was very sick.  We had to run a couple tests to check for a bowl obstruction and came very very close to being admitted to the hospital.  He was fairly dehydrated..yes, after less than 8 hours he was to the point of  dehydration that he needed to be admitted.

After 4 hospital stays already in his short life, another one just made me want to hide in bed and cry.  Thankfully the tests we had to run came back negative, whew, barely escaped another surgery,  so we were given the choice to try meds at home for dehydration with the stipulation that if things weren't better we would admit ourselves that night or to be on the safe side and be admitted.  I'll say, I leaned towards just being admitted because last time I dealt with a sickie that got dehydrated the anti-nausea meds didn't work. I figured I could just save myself a day and let's just be admitted and honestly if hubs weren't there I would have taken that choice.  Hubs wanted to try it at home and considering I have 2 other kids to care for too we went ahead and got the meds and headed home.   He's getting better, still not eating normally yet, but is drinking so we're running with that.

I am so thankful to have a Doctor that trusts me as a mom so that I can be given the option of going home to try the meds there!  I am so thankful that our Dr. is willing to run tests and make sure he is okay. A Dr. that is honest and lays it all out there for me.

Listen to that mommy gut! I started out feeling silly for taking him in for something as minor as a little bit of throw up, but my kids normal is not your kids normal.  Things that yours can recover quickly from and rebound, take mine a bit longer.

Listen to your instincts, mama!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Definitely trust the mama gut. Last time Isaiah got sick we almost went home with a "catch all" diagnosis of a virus. I pushed for an x-ray and the doctor tried to say no but finally did one. He had pneumonia.