One stay at home moms journey to find herself again

Sunday, June 5, 2011

For your eating pleasure:

Since one my last recipe postings inspired my friend, Laura, over at www.lauracashion.com
(psst..go check her out! She's an awesome photographer, if you're in the area) here are a few others.

First up: Adobo Chicken (Serves 4)

1.5 – 2 Lbs Chicken Thighs, boneless and skinless
1/4 Cup White Vinegar
3 Tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
2 Small Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Dried Bay Leaves

1. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl or Ziploc bag (for easier cleanup) and marinate chicken for 1 hour to overnight.
2. Place all the ingredients in a medium size pot, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Uncover, raise the heat to medium high and allow the sauce to reduce for about 10 minutes.
4. Shred chicken thighs or serve whole over rice.


and for my variations: because you know I can't make anything without a variation:
I used chicken breasts, added some whole pepercorns and used minced garlic (refridgerated, in a jar) instead of cloves. and I, of course, made sticky rice, bc sticky rice and I are BFF's.
It was REALLY good and super super easy! Easiest meal I've made in a very long time.

Numero Two:

Orange Ginger Cookies (Makes 3 Dozen)

2 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Tsp Ground Ginger
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Ground Cloves
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
1/4 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Baking Soda
3/4 Cup Butter, softened
1 Cup White Sugar, plus 2 Tbsp sugar for coating
1 Large Egg
1/4 Cup Molasses
2 Tbsp Orange Zest
2 Tbsp Orange Juice, fresh squeezed

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Sift together the first 7 ingredients and set aside.
3. In a large bowl using a hand mixer or standing mixer, cream together butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy (about 1-2 minutes).
4. Add egg to the creamed butter mixture and beat another minute until combined.
5. Add molasses, orange zest and juice and combine.
6. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet until they are all incorporated. Chill dough for one hour.
7. Shape dough into 1-inch balls then roll them in the remaining 2 tbsp of sugar.
8. Place the balls onto a silpat or parchment lined cookie sheet and slightly flatten using the palm of your hands (make sure cookies are placed about 2 inches away from each other since they will widen when baking)
9. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
10. Cool and serve.

I didn't have cloves so I ommitted them and I didn't smush them. Made for fluffier cookies that way, I also used Agave instead of molasses.
They were really good! Very different and 'warm' Definatly tasted christmas-y.. but really good..even in June.

Both the above recipes came from www.weelicious.com
(they are awesome too)

And finally:

http://twinisms.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/


This was REALLY good and my new go-to sauce. Yes, I made variations:
I didn't measure the spices, just let the Good Lord lead me :-), Added bay leaves (because you can't make anything italian without bay leaves) and I added tomato sauce after it was done because it was too thick for my tastes so if you don't like thick sauce then add either tomato sauce or water until you reach your desired consistancy. I let it simmer probably 45 minutes before I added in the tomato sauce and then let it go 15 more minutes.

really awesome sauce. The green olives add an awesome kick. Little time consuming but it made a lot of sauce. Enough for 2 full meals plus extra for many leftovers. I froze 1/2 the sauce for other meals too. really good.

Eat Happy!

No comments: