One stay at home moms journey to find herself again

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cocktails for everyone..oh..wait..nevermind..Just Congress!

I'm not one to follow a lot of news but One of the big news stories lately is the threat of a Government Shutdown, but what I haven't seen covered very much about this shutdown is the threat of Military not recieving pay. Last week I mentioned it to my parents and even they had no clue. I've seen Social Security talked about on the news but I have yet to see "Oh guess what, if the Government shuts down the Military, to inclue those fighting overseas, will not be getting paid" I was pleasantly surprised to see that Yahoo did post this article this morning:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_government_shutdown

I cannot believe Congress is still BSing with this. It's not the fact that we may lose pay, it's more the issue that Congress has been screwing off, taking vacations, days off, parties, ect all while they should be working on passing a budget. Yes, they've taken numerous week long vacations, had parties, days off ect all since January. Those overseas, dying for our freedoms, are now being told to continue doing their job, without any days off, they just won't get paid for it because Congress is busy having cocktails and Hors d'Ĺ“uvre in Marthas Vineyard and can't be bothered to be serious and pass a budget. Does this sit wrong with ANYONE else?

I did have to laugh though when I came upon this quote in the article:
"the White House sought to put the prospect of a shutdown in terms people would care about, warning even that the beloved National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade in the nation's capital would be wiped out. The Smithsonian Institution and national parks around the country would also be closed."
and of course there is this gem " Tax payments were welcome" yup, that's right folks, You don't get paid but your tax payments are still due!

Luckily we do have savings and I always keep 1/2 of the next paychecks bills put back but it won't last us long. Our savings was for our move this summer and a nestegg for when we ETS, yes, I know, they say we'll get paid back but no telling how long that will take. DFAS isn't exactly the quickest at giving backpay. I worry about those that don't have savings.
A lot of people don't have savings, ect bc they "know" we'll always get paid..Military folks aren't always ones to 'live within their means'
Does anyone honestly think I can call up my mortgage company and tell them they won't be recieving their payment next month bc Congress can't pass a budget and they'll say "ohh no worries, not a problem"
There are those that are FARRR worse off than we are and I really ache for them and worry about how they will manage. We aren't golden by any means but we'll manage.

Even if this had zero effect on me I can honestly say I would feel the same way. It's NOT about money. Its inexcuseable that Congress is screwing around like this, bickering with each other, playing political games and not passing a budget and it has to come to this...especially for our Military who fights 24/7 365 and die everyday!

No comments: