One stay at home moms journey to find herself again

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Meatloaf-a-holic

I love meatloaf..Love...IT..I could be a meatloaf-a-holic. Unfortnatly my husband doesn't share the love. When he told me he didn't like meatloaf it was a defining moment in our marraige..it could have ended it, I do believe his lack of love for meatloaf caused a...er..discussion. Maybe it's because he's from Tucson and I'm from 'Amish Country' We luuvv us some meatloaf, meatloaf sandwiches, meatloaf cold, meatloaf hot, meatloaf,white bread, mustard..yumm! So the only time I don't feel guilty making meatloaf is when he's gone. I've tried numerous recipes over the years. Some ended up like dog food, some had no flavor but I finally found a winner! I tried this recipe tonight and it was fabulous:

Mini Italian Meat Loaves:

1 1/2 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
1/2 cup Progresso® Italian-style dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup pepperoni-flavored pizza sauce (from 14-oz jar)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 egg
1/4 cup shredded Italian-style six-cheese blend or mozzarella cheese (1 oz)
Additional pizza sauce, heated, if desired

1.Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, mix all ingredients except cheese and additional pizza sauce. Press beef mixture into 12 regular-size muffin cups (cups will be very full). Place muffin pan on cookie sheet in oven to catch any spillover.
2.Bake about 30 minutes or until loaves are no longer pink in center and meat thermometer inserted in center of loaves in middle of muffin pan reads 160°F.
3.Sprinkle 1 teaspoon cheese over each loaf. Bake 1 to 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Immediately remove from cups. Serve with pizza sauce.

I, of course, made some changes; I only had 1lb of meat, I grated some carrot and green pepper into the mixture, added some more spices (oregano,basil,extra garlic), I didn't do the extra sauce and I didn't have pizza sauce so I used spaghetti sauce. But ya, seriously..it was AWESOME. I got "nummmmm nummmmm" from one child and "This is the best dinner EVER" from another. Which is saying something bc my kids don't like dinner unless its takeout or breakfast :P It was super easy, and the kids loved it bc they looked like muffins...total Win!

And you cannot have meatloaf without mashed potatoes (it's a crime..You need something to dip the meatloaf in!) So I made some dill mashed potatoes with Greek Yogurt instead of milk. DELISH!
Just boiled my potatoes until soft, added garlic salt, pepper, a dallop of Greek Yogurt and some fresh dill and mash! They turn out super fluffy like if you would have added milk and sour cream and dill is just awesome in potatoes.

To finish out the trifecta we needed corn but I didn't have any :-( so we just made due with brussel sprouts and green beans.

I cannot wait to have the leftovers tomorrow! yum! My tummy is SUPER happy tonight!

1 comment:

Casey said...

This sounds YUMMY. I will have to try it.

Since J is from Tucson, try salsa or even sofrito (made by Goya, in the section of the store with all of the "native" foods) instead of ketchup. Add cilantro, maybe. Cut it so it can be eaten in tacos with cheddar, tomatoes, lettuce.

:D