One stay at home moms journey to find herself again

Friday, December 31, 2010

R&R

Hello all! I'm back after a fabulous R&R with my husband, a wonderful Birthday for my monkey girl, and a wonderful Christmas with my parents. Fabulous Dah-ling, FABulous! I'd like to take a moment and share my 'picking up daddy" story. It's -most- definatly worth the read.

The day before was hectic, like normal, cleaning, prepping, gettin myself all purdied up, so that evening while we were out we grabbed some Taco Bell for dinner. Evening went as planned. I ended up going to bed a bit early as I didn't feel good. I woke up around midnight with the worst stomach ache EVER. no temp, no throwing up, just a horrid stomach ache *darn Taco Bell* Later on during O dark thirty as I was laying there awake clutching my stomach BD calls from Ireland *YAY* Told him I wasnt feeling so hot but I'd be there the next day. Then he drops this bombshell.."oh ya, btw, I dont have a connecting flight to Killeen, Dallas is my last stop" to which my blood ran cold. Yes I had planned to pick him up at Dallas anyways but if I was still feeling as I was there was no way I could make a 3 hr drive and he'd just have to connect into Killeen...soooo I chuckled and said "I'll.........be there" CRAP!!! Morning came, still hadn't slept, still felt like crap. But I knew his flight wasnt to be in until noon *and had been scheduled as noon for the past 24 hours* so I had some time. I'm busy gettin everyone ready and its around 730am and I get a "mommy feeling" and decide to call the hotline for the flight info just one more time...imagine my surprise when the lil man says "arriving at 1030am" I almost choked on my tongue. I start hollerin at the girls to get to the car, hurry hurry, poor babies didn't know why as they just knew we were 'going on a drive' *hence where my organization comes in handy, I was nearly ready to go, thank God* So we make it to the car and i realize "CRAP!" I didn't get gas the night before bc "I had tiiimmmeee" ARGH *smacking forehead* sooo I get gas thinking "im gonna be late..gonna be late" and see, its not just the 'picking up the husband' bc if I -was- late, he'd just sit there and wait on me, no biggie, it was the whole DFW R&R "EXPERIENCE" that I didnt wanna miss out on. We FINALLY make it out of town and we get to Belton *about 10mins away* and............Allana throws up.....all over her nice outfit, all over the carseat, all over herself. I wanted to just hide. I got that whole mess cleaned up and off we were again. Might I add in here that I still felt like death.
So -somehow- we make it to DFW by 1025..(ok, I sped a bit..shhhh) and we get there and I breathe a sigh of relief. Filled my kids in on why we were there, they were excited, I was excited, we MADE it! I LOVE DFW R&R. The volunteers and USO workers are SO helpful and so nice. I got told 4-5 times "Thank you so much for YOUR sacrifice, thank you for what YOU do" which just brings tears to my eyes. Soo we all crowd around the Arrivals area and wait...and wait..until 11:30.....lol..and soldiers come out and at this point I expected my children to act all happy and excited and anxiously awaiting their father,acting like good lil Army Brats...I was wrong...dead....WRONG. As each soldier comes out theres clapping and whistling and music and JROTC and signs and hugs and tears and its AWESOME and with each soldier that came out my lovely 3 year old would scream "YOU AREN'T MY DADDYY!!!!" crying, wallering on the floor.I wanted..to...FAINT. 1. I was embarassed, 2. I still felt like death. Those who have been around kids know that when 1 goes psycho the other does also. So I had 2 screaming kids and I had to stand there and look like the "Ever in control" Army wife *HA!!* I told the people standing next to me 3 or 4 times "Im sorry, she's just overwhelmed right now" Luckily they understood. Of course my charming husband was the LAST FREAKIN PERSON off the plane. So I endured a whole plane load of soldiers in horrid painful heels, feeling like death, nervous as heck and 2 screaming kids. Im sure every mom has had the moment where they wanted to abandon their kids and say "those arent MY crazy kids" *RAISES HAND!!*
But when he finally came out it was AMAZING. The kids went right to him and were stuck to his side from then on. I couldn't have asked for a better R&R..The time seemed to go slow which was wonderful.

We made it, we did it, we had an AWESOME R&R..Freakin Murphy had his hold on me until the second I gave my husband a hug but we did it!! We are ALMOST into "teen' weeks also! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll blog some pics of our R&R soon!

Happy New Year!!

1 comment:

Tim and Cynthia Jones said...

Awesome writing...as always!! so imaginative and realistic! Like we were there! he he he
Soooo glad you all had such a great time at R&R.