One stay at home moms journey to find herself again

Friday, August 13, 2010

Embarking on a wild ride

well, it's been a 7+ year journey but I've finally figured out what I want to be when I "grow up" I've been thinking a lot about when BD gets out and the job he wants does pay good...for us, but maybe its losing the 'security' of the Army that lights a fire under me? I want to get my degree while I'm still an Army wife so that I can use the MYCAA program, and although I love being home with my kids, it isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life. Once my kids are in school I am not going to sit home and twiddle my thumbs. I want a job, a career.
I am going back to school to become a Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer. In laymans terms, a sonogram technician. I still need to figure out what areas I am going study the most in (ie: pregnancy, brain, stomach, ect) I plan to pick a couple different areas to study so that it helps my chances of getting a job.
I Never ever thought I'd want to do anything in the medical field. I just don't do goo or fluids, but this feels right. Ya know that feeling deep down where you know you are doing what's right..ya, that one. plus..scrubs are -really- cute! ha
It amazes me that you can take a little wand and look inside somebody. When I was pregnant I was so awed to check out the machines and I watched like a hawk to see if I could make out any of the symbols/signs ect, not bc I was necessarily worried about my babies but because it was cool!
I am so so excited! I can't wait to start school. I can't wait to learn all about it. I am checking into colleges and facts on the job and everything looks promising. Projected job growth is good, pay is good and this is a job I can do anywhere. I am so excited to start this new chapter in my life. I am scared though, really...really...scared! lol It's been soo long since I have been in school. And all those subjects that make people cringe, anatomy, physiology, physics, I will be taking. lol I always did pick the hardest road possible. :-) Maybe it's so that I can watch myself succeed time and time again.
At the current time I plan to just get my associates so that when BD gets out in 2years I will be able to get a job if I need too, if not, I will go for my bachelors, providing financing comes through, ect. Heck, maybe I'll even go for my Doctorate *totally just kidding........I dont like school that much!*

Thank you to my husband for supporting me 1,000% on this journey. Thank you for providing for me the last 5 years. Thank you for never pressuring me to get a job or go to school. Thank you for always encouraging me in all I do. Thank you for accepting me just as I am right now, a little stay at home mom. Thank you for believing in me, beliving in my 'smarts' even as a stay at home mom. Thank you for being my Prince Charming. The only way I'll succeed on this journey is through your support, so thank you!!

To my parents: thank you so much for your constant love and support. Thank you for never pressuring me into college. Some of the best advice I recieved from my mom was to not go to college unless you know forsure what you want to do, because then you end up spending lots of money and time trying to figure it out. Thank you for never saying "you need to go to college" You knew that when I was ready, I'd do it.
Thank you for having the wisdom to know that 6 years ago I didn't know what I wanted and if I had gone to school I woulda majored in something that at this point in my life I wouldn't enjoy. Then would go back to school spending more time/money..or I woulda just been unhappy. Thank you for allowing me to find my Prince Charming and have my Princesses first and then pursue college, if I wanted.

This will be a wild ride. I excited, scared, nervous, happy. It will be extremely hard, but I want to succeed. I wanna pull off a 4.0!
now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for me to go buy my colored pencils and Strawberry Shortcake lunch box! woohoo!!!!!!!

3 comments:

BD said...

I love you. i support you. I want you to do this...not for me, or the girls, but for you. You've lived my life, now Im ready to support you and live yours.

Casey said...

You are awesome. I have no doubt whatsoever that you will do VERY, VERY well-- you are book smart and common sense smart. One is good, both is better. :)

Tim and Cynthia Jones said...

Ok, so I just read your blog and found out...so disregard my FB comment. I'm a little behind here. Good for you Erica...that is awesome! I know you'll do great! ACtually going to college when you're older is easier :) That's what Pappa J said. :)