One stay at home moms journey to find herself again

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Update on Wesley The BIG TWO!!

Hey all!  It's July!!  July is Cleft and Craniofacial Awareness and Prevention Month!!! YAY for our month!! "Our" color is PURPLE!! I so want to get one of those purple ribbons for my car!  I love advocating for my son!!   I thought I would take a moment to update quickly on Wesley.  There are some things that have been going on and I not only want to inform and educate everyone but also use this as a diary of sorts for our boy to read one day.

Wesley turned 2 a couple months ago! He is ornery, BUSY, fun, silly, and FEISTY!   He LOOVES his mama and will stop what he's doing to come over and give me a hug or a kiss. I love it!  Love my boy so so so much!! I am so so thankful God gave Wesley to ME!! I'd be so stinking jealous if He had given him to another mommy!!

Wesley has major speech delays.   Honestly.. There hasn't been much progress in the last year.  He says one word sentences. He signs.  And he makes "Sounds"  As his mother I can articulate and understand his sounds but others cannot.   His main words are "mama"  "dada" (Gaga), "Cracker" "Yuck" "ma" (For grandma) and "papa"  That is about to extent of it.  He does have many other sounds and signs he uses so is somewhat able to communicate.   We are at a standstill.  We aren't sure why he isn't progressing.   His Speech therapist doesn't know and we don't know.   It breaks my heart.  The thought has been thrown around that he may have some sort of nerve damage but we just aren't sure. He's in speech therapy once a week.  He loves his Jo!!

We have a few different avenues we are going to try here in the next few months.  We are going to look into a more in dept hearing test just to rule out any hearing issues.  He's had standard tests done but I feel like we should look deeper into that.  Also, new tubes will probably be happening in the next few months.  The ones he has in now have been in for just about 2 years now, which is a really long time for tubes.
We are also going to look into possibly starting private speech therapy along with the therapy he is already getting.

Other than that we just don't know what is going on.  It's heartbreaking as a mother.  There were a few days when all I could do was cry. I felt helpless. I felt scared. I felt like I was doing something wrong. What was I not getting!?   We cannot give up though.   Cognitively he's above average for his age.  He's such a smart little boy. He understands exactly what we say and what we mean.

Socially... we are working on it.  He has bad anxiety and doesn't like new people. It's tiring as a mom.  I can see that he is slowly -mayyybe- coming out of that.  I'm seeing some glimmer of hope that he may be trying to break through that.  I really hope so.   We don't have babysitters, besides our parents, he doesn't do any other form of daycare as he would just scream and melt all over the place...that is if I could pry him off of me long enough to leave.

I thank God every day for my boy.  For everything he has taught me in the last 2 years.  For how he's helped me grow into the mother I am.

No comments: